Friday, April 13, 2012

White, Black, and Shades of Gray


Looking at this chart, I've never really reflected heavily on what I've done in my lifetime and that's just a very few. This assignment taught me about my morals and what I consider is morally right, along with what's wrong. This timeline ranges from what good I've made of myself; however, along with the mistakes I've made in my past and even present. It's amazing to think about the things that we consider 'wrong' (lying, cheating, stealing, etc) but can be associated with the right. I've always been taught that the past makes us, however the present shapes us. I never really understood that saying, till now.

This assignment taught me a lot about myself as an individual and how much I've grown since I was a little girl. I've definitely made mistakes that I'm not very proud of, but I've learned to accept them and move on with my life. As our lives change and as we grow older, we begin to realize what really is important and what we become of ourselves. We may not be the perfect human beings, but we are human and we're still in the process of learning the difference between what's right and what's wrong. And this leads me back to the quote: "The past makes us, however the present shapes us". This is the time to make mistakes but there's no need to dwell on what was then and let what happened define who we are. The past will always be there, but it's up to us whether or not we want to grow from it.

2 comments:

  1. Hey Mel, very nice graphic on your opinions on the good, the middle, and the bad. Your opinions flow very smoothly, from saving a life, to bullying, then to murder. The graphic is very clean and easy to read. I, though,would like to see the graphic in a bigger image, if you could do that (: so that it is big enough to read. Lol. Your reflection on this graphic tells me that you worked hard on it and took the time to sort out your morals and values. It also tells me that you realize the good and the bad and the middle. Nice Job !

    ReplyDelete
  2. I dont know what to critique you on but here we go. Your graphic is pretty dope its cool to see like the steps to go from a savior to a murderer in your shoes (which are probably like size one-half). Your reflection definitely tells me that the journey to becoming the young women you are now which has forced you to abandon all childish ways that you once had. I dig the quote and the analysis you really have brought the essay to the climactic point at the end where it's like "im mature, get over it" I do feel however that there's not really like a difference between the two paragraphs like one you intro the quote and then the other analyzes it but you still kind of do that in the first paragraph. I guess in short writing like this i kinda like the contrast but that might just be me...
    kk shoots.
    -Keegan D.

    ReplyDelete