Tuesday, May 1, 2012

Journal 1: Learning and Research Process

Topic
  • Music

Passion and Stretch

  • Started singing since I was 4 and I still do.
  • I started taking voice lessons at the age of 8 and I started taking guitar lessons at the age of 12, but stopped just recently because my guitar teacher left to continue with school
  • I was a member of the concert choir at my old school from grades 3-8 and and I'm currently a member of the music ministry for my church. 
  • I sang for numerous recitals, talent shows, parties, and many solos back when I was in concert choir. 
  • I want to be able to create my own song with my own lyrics and melody. 
  • I pretty much know the basics, but for some reason, my lyrics can never match the rhythm to what I play on my guitar and I always leave it unfinished. 
  • This time, I want to be able to compose my own song and be able to finish it with success. 
Resources and Research
  • Vocal Coach (William Daquiaog) --- I see him every Sunday for practice
  • Old music teacher (Mrs. Bernie) --- I'm able to visit her anytime at my old school
  • Music ministry teacher (Mama Fay) --- I see her every Sunday morning/evening for Church
  • Cheesa Laureta (The Voice Semi Finalist) --- She's currently in Hawaii but will be leaving to go back to California on Saturday, but I'm able to contact her via Facebook, text/call. 
  • Youtube videos (Albert Posis, Mark Mejia, Melissa Polinar, and all those other youtube famous people) -- for inspiration 
Process and Product 
  • Continue to sing and play the guitar on my own.
  • Practice new chord progressions and plucking on the guitar to master my weakness. 
  • Start off with writing a chorus, then add in the verses. From there, create a memorable title. 
  • For the final product, put the lyrics together with the guitar and sing it on front of the class and possibly make a youtube video of my original song. 
Questions
  • What does it take to compose a whole original song? 
  • What skills do I need? 
  • What are the basic elements to composing a song? 
  • How much time does it really take? 
  • What's the easiest way or trick I can use? 
  • Any advice? 

1 comment:

  1. Wow Melissa!
    this looks like a senior project! great job of detailing your experience and your passion and great list of resources.
    I'm looking forward to hearing your original composition!
    mrs s

    ReplyDelete